Tuesday, November 11, 2008

American Indians

Today we learned about American Indians. Jade and Joshua were really intrigued by these people. Joshua thought their bows & arrows were the cool part so of course he wanted to *play* indians with his sister (who wanted no part of this)so he could shoot her with his make believe arrow LOL. Anywho, I was pleasently suprised to find out how interested they were in learning about them! They wanted to make a feather hat (as you see in the below photo) and wanted to know more about their pow wows. So, I found a couple of really cool videos of indian pow wows on utube. Oh boy did I not know after watching them my 4 year old would run around the house for an hour making LOUD indian sounds with his hand over his mouth (I know you all know what I'm talking about)! As annoying as that was, it was nice to see them learning and having fun at the same time...what a blessing :)


We are using ABeka as our history "spine" this year. It is a little light in my opinion so we always use lots of living books and story books added in. Here are the books we used today to learn more about the American Indians.

I had Jade narrate to me what she learned in our Native American lesson.


3 comments:

Gina said...

Looks they are having a great time learning. :) I love the Indian headdresses you made. Very clever!!

redkitchen said...

Great pictures! It's so cool when our children get excited about learning. It sounds like your sweeties learned a lot! Great job, mom. :D

Naturally Frugal Mom said...

Yay! We are going to be starting Indians and Pilgrims next week :) I can't wait to do feather hats..err...my son may think he's too old but I will show him ;)